Special Interest Groups
- SIG 1: Resources, technologies and geo-information
- SIG 2: Learning and teaching with geo-media and geoinformation
- SIG 3: Teacher Education and Training in geo-media
- SIG 4: Curriculum aspects and geo-media
Special Interest Group 1: Resources, technologies and geo-information
SIG 1 examines aspects of resources and their availability in school and teacher training contexts. The issues are expected to be multidimensional and multi-scaled. They will be technological, social, economic and cultural. This group will start from the legacy of the European INSPIRE initiative and then move on to examine issues from a schools perspective, producing publications to support teachers and teacher educators in schools.
The SIG will create a number of products including an online catalogue for resources to be shared and guidelines for widespread use in teaching.
- An online catalogue
- A report on the impact of INSPIRE for teaching and teacher education Report
- An electronic publication on teaching resources for geo-media
- A report on geoinformation, geo-media and data for schools Report
- A report discussing Information copyright, quality and other issues
- A conference workshop exploring resources, data and information
Special Interest Group 2: Learning and teaching with geo-media and geoinformation
SIG 2 looks at learning and teaching issues connected with the use of geo-media and geoinformation in schools. It examines key competences in geo-media, reviews learning and teaching approaches and provides practical and essential guidance for teachers and teacher educators.
- A report linking geoinformation, geo-media and key competences
- A publication on learning and teaching approaches with geoinformation
- A booklet on ‘Guiding students in geo-media’
- A set of research papers on ICT and spatial citizenship
- A conference workshop on Learning and teaching with geo-media
Special Interest Group 3: Teacher Education and Training in geo-media
SIG 3 addresses teacher education and teacher training issues. It establishes a European Centre of Excellence and a national and regional network of Centres of Excellence for teaching and training in geo-media and geoinformation, it looks at quality enhancement and assurance issues in training and the formulation of a benchmark statement for the discipline.
- A report on teacher accreditation and geo-media in Europe
- Quality criteria and benchmark statement for teacher education and geo-media
- A booklet about training teachers offering guidance for trainers
- A workshop on teacher training with geo-media
Special Interest Group 4: Curriculum aspects and geo-media
Special Interest Group 4 examines the curriculum opportunities for the use of geo-media and geoinformation in school teaching and teacher training. It will produce resources to advise and guide those developing curricula, creating courses and lessons using geo-media and GI. It will also examine professional connections and links between schools and enterprise.
- A report on Curriculum Opportunities for geo-media in Europe
- A leaflet guiding curriculum development
- Booklets dealing with Teaching and integrating subject disciplines with geo-media and geoinformation
- A conference workshop on geo-media and Geoinformation and the curriculum